Sydney, New South Wales, Australia 1850
- Australia, Asia, New Guinea 1839-1850
Leaving Sydney Harbour for Bass Strait
2 February 1848
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Materials & Technique:
drawings, watercolours, ink; paper; watercolour drawing in pen and ink and watercolour Support: off-white wove paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: Signed lower right in pen and black ink 'Owen Stanley'.
Dated lower right in pen and black ink 'Feb'y 2 1848'.
Titled lower centre in pen and black ink 'Leaving Sydney Harbour for Bass Strait'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower centre of backing sheet in black pencil, 'Sydney Harbour'.
Inscribed lower right of backing sheet in black pencil, 'Drawn by Captain...(illeg)'.
Inscribed verso upper right of frame in ballpoint pen, 'JB36 RM753/12'.
image 17.5 h x 26.4 w cm sheet 18.0 h x 26.4 w cm
: Purchased 2005 Accession No
: NGA 2005.262
- With Joseph Brown Gallery
- Exhibited, 'Spring Exhibition 1979', Melbourne: Joseph Brown Gallery, 17 - 30 October 1979, cat. no. 9
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Christie's Fine Art Auctioneers, Melbourne, June 2005.
- From the auction, 'Paintings from the Dr Joseph Brown Collection', Melbourne: Christie's, 17 May 2005, lot 25.