Bengal, India, Calcutta
Portrait of a Calcutta dandy
[A young man seated on a chair and holding a hookah] 1870-80
Kalighat, Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal, India
Materials & Technique
paintings, watercolours, watercolour, silver paint and pencil watercolour, silver paint Support
support 42.0 h x 27.5 w cm mount 44.6 h x 29.9 w cm
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954 Accession No
: NGA 91.1321 Subject
: Kalighat School
- Acquired in Dundee, Scotland, by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1953
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and the late Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this painting is partial. The earliest known transaction is its acquisition by the donor in Scotland in 1953. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1953.