Mughal style, later copy
Portrait of an aged mullah
: based on a c.1615 original
Materials & Technique
paintings, miniatures, opaque watercolour Support
image 16.6 h x 11.2 w cm mount 39.8 h x 26.4 w cm
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954 Accession No
: NGA 91.1327 Subject
: Religion: professional practitioners
- Acquired in London by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1943
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1943–1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954–1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this painting is partial. The earliest known transaction is its acquisition by the donor in London in 1943. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1943.