Bengal, India 1871
Artist's cultural association:
Bengal School of Art
The artist's family
[Musical entertainment] 1905-15
Materials & Technique:
prints, relief; woodblock, printed in colour Support: paper
Primary Insc: Signed on image lower right, in blue "A Tagore".
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed below image lower right, in blue ink 'GA.P.288'.
image 16.4 h x 23.1 w cm support 17.2 h x 24.0 w cm
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954 Accession No
: NGA 91.1329 Subject
- Created in Japan for the Indian Society of Oriental Art, between 1900 and 1930
- acquired in London by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1953
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this print is partial. Its whereabouts is unknown between its creation in Japan and its acquisition by the donor in London in 1953. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1953.