Rajasthan, India

Adiguru Shankaracharya and his attendants 18th century Materials & Technique: paintings, miniatures, opaque watercolour, gold Support: paper
Primary Insc: Inscription in Devanagari script within painting, largely illegible, but mentions the "Cult of the Sage".
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed l.r., within image, black ink 'GA.P.27'; inscribed l.r., below image, black ink 'GA.P.27'; stamped l.r., within image , black ink, seal of ownership; inscribed verso, u.c., blue ink 'GA.P.27 / Hyderabad, 1928'.
Dimensions: image 19.0 h x 14.6 w cm sheet 19.6 h x 15.2 w cm mount 30.1 h x 22.2 w cm
Acknowledgement: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954
Accession No: NGA 91.1334
Subject: Religion: professional practitioners Hindu
  • Acquired in Hyderabad, Telangana, India, by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1927 or 1928
  • exported from India by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1930
  • held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1927 or 1928-1953
  • who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
  • held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
  • transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
  • The collecting history of this painting is partial. The earliest known transaction is its acquisition by the donor in India in 1927 or 1928. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1927 or 1928.