A Mughal prince riding an imperial elephant
[A prince riding in the howdah of an imperial elephant which carries its hobbling chain in its trunk] 19th century
Materials & Technique
paintings, miniatures, opaque watercolour, gold Support
image 21.3 h x 15.2 w cm mount 16.9 h x 20.4 w cm
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954 Accession No
: NGA 91.1340 Subject
- Acquired in London by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1936 or 1938
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1936 or 1938-1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this painting is partial. The earliest known transaction is its acquisition by the donor in London in 1936 or 1938. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1936 or 1938.