A young woman chasing a cat that has seized her parrot
Materials & Technique
paintings, miniatures, opaque watercolour, gold Support
sheet 20.8 h x 14.2 w cm image 15.4 h x 9.1 w cm
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954 Accession No
: NGA 91.1368
- Acquired in India by a collector named Fadnis (alternatively spelled Phadanavis or Furnuwees), mid-1800s or before
- by descent to his great-grandson B.M. Fadnis, Pune, Maharashtra, India
- who sold it to Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1927
- exported from India by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1930
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1927-1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this painting is partial. Its whereabouts are unknown between its creation and entering the Fadnis Collection in the mid-1800s or before. The earliest confirmed transaction is its purchase by the donor in India in 1927. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1927.