Creswick, Victoria, Australia 1874
Hornsby, New South Wales, Australia 1961
- Europe 1902-03
- Europe 1910
- England, Europe 1925-27
- North Africa, India, Europe 1928-30
- Europe 1933-34
Bookplate: R.H. Croll.
Collection Title: Album of original art works assembled by R H Croll
Page: page 3 bottom
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Materials & Technique:
albums, prints, ink; paper etching, printed in black ink, from one plate Support: paper
Edition State: 1st state
Impression: 1st state proof
Edition: edition unknown
Edition Notes: 1st state before the signature and reduction of size of plate
Primary Insc: Signed lower left below plate-mark in black pencil, 'Lionel Lindsay'.
Inscribed lower right below plate-mark in black pencil, '1st state'.
Inscribed at base of sheet in black pencil, 'before the signature and the cutting of / the plate'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: no inscriptions
plate-mark 9.8 h x 5.3 w cm
: Gift of Roger Butler 1996 Accession No
: NGA 96.592.4 Subject
: Australia, Printed ephemera: Bookplate (ex libris)
Australia, Art style: Painter-etchers 1860s-1938 Image rights
: © National Library of Australia
- The album was assembled by Robert Henderson Croll (1869-1947), writer, biorgrapher, art historian. (see ADB, vol.8, pp154-5).
- The Croll estate was sold by the book dealer Kenneth Hince (Melbourne) and Malvern Fine Art Gallery Melbourne.
- The album was acquired by Roger Butler from Malvern Fine Art Gallery prior to 1981.
- Gift to the National Gallery of Australia, from Roger Butler, Canberra, June 1996.