Creswick, Victoria, Australia 1874
Hornsby, New South Wales, Australia 1961
- Europe 1902-03
- Europe 1910
- England, Europe 1925-27
- North Africa, India, Europe 1928-30
- Europe 1933-34
Letter: Lionel Lindsay to R.H. Croll 14 September 1935 (2pp).
14 September 1935
Collection Title: Album of original art works assembled by R H Croll
Page: page 5, bottom
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Materials & Technique:
prints, albums, ink; paper manuscript letter in pen and blue ink Support: two sheets of cream wove paper
Manufacturer's Mark: watermark
Edition State: published state
Edition: edition of 50; 2 proofs on 'old vellum'.
Primary Insc: 'Herald Ofice 14 Sept / 35 / Dear Croll I am posting the Brennan / portrait I promised on a thick / old Vellum. I gave the Edition / of the plate to the C.B. Fund to / raise Cash for the Memorial Edition. / I am sending a similar proof / to Randolph H... These are the only / proofs on this paper. Hope your excellent[?] / work has conquered the apathy of / the Australian public. / I'm going back to work / in a few days, but I'm busy taking notes for future articles for the Herald on the Melbourne pictures. I hope you keep well/ Kind regards to yourself / & Mrs Croll / Yours sincerely / Lionel Lindsay'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions
Tertiary Insc: no inscriptions
sheet (each) 12.5 h x 20.2 w cm
: Gift of Roger Butler 1996 Accession No
: NGA 96.592.8 Image rights
: © National Library of Australia
- The album was assembled by Robert Henderson Croll (1869-1947), writer, biorgrapher, art historian. (see ADB, vol.8, pp154-5).
- The Croll estate was sold by the book dealer Kenneth Hince (Melbourne) and Malvern Fine Art Gallery Melbourne.
- The album was acquired by Roger Butler from Malvern Fine Art Gallery prior to 1981.
- Gift to the National Gallery of Australia, from Roger Butler, Canberra, June 1996.