France 1867 – 1947
La revue blanche
Paris, Île-de-France, Ville de Paris department, France
Materials & Technique: prints, posters, colour lithographic poster lithograph, printed in black, grey and cream inks. Support: paper
La revue blanche was founded in Belgium in 1889 by brothers Alfred, Alexandre and Thadée Natanson, who then moved it to Paris in 1891. As a publication it was hugely influential on the intellectual and artistic life of the city. From July 1893 to December 1894 it published a print per month by the mainly Nabi artists Edouard Vuillard, Maurice Denis, Paul Ranson, Pierre Bonnard and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, amongst others.
Both Bonnard and Toulouse-Lautrec also produced posters advertising the magazine itself. Bonnard’s poster – one of the relatively few he produced in his lifetime – with its quirky structure and reduced palette, is now considered a masterpiece of the form. It is in fact an homage to Thadée Natanson’s polish-born wife, Misia, who was known as the ‘muse of the review’. Interestingly, it was produced using two lithographic stones.
Text © National Gallery of Australia, Canberra