, Page from an album: Yoginis worshipping at a Shiva-linga shrine [recto] Enlarge 1 /1

Studio of Mihr Chand

Studio of Mihr Chand

painter

  • active at Faizabad, then moved to Lucknow when the court of Awadh changed location in 1775


Artist's cultural association:
Provincial Mughal painting, Awadh style
Page from an album: Yoginis worshipping at a Shiva-linga shrine [recto] c. 1770 Description: Page from an album: Yoginis worshipping at a Shiva-linga shrine [recto] | calligraphy panel [verso]
Place made: Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
Materials & Technique: paintings, miniatures, opaque watercolour, charcoal Support: paper

Primary Insc: Inscribed on recto upper centre, in cartouche, in black ink, in Nasta'liq script.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower right below image, in ink "GA.P.84".
Dimensions: image (recto) 15.8 h x 10.6 w cm border 19.2 h x 14.0 w cm
Acknowledgement: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954
Accession No: NGA 91.1359A
Provenance:
  • Likely painted in the studio of artist Mihr Chand for an album compiled for Shuja-al-Daula, Nawab of Awadh (1732-1775), Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh, India, c.1770, and later dispersed from his collection either by gift or sale by his descendants
  • likely collected in India by Admiral Sir Edmund Robert Fremantle between 1888 and 1891
  • likely exported from India by Admiral Sir Edmund Robert Fremantle in 1891
  • known as the Fremantle Album, reputedly damaged by World War II bombing in London, around 1942
  • with book publisher Luzac & Co., London, England, 1948 or before
  • who sold it to Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1948
  • held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and the late Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1948-1953
  • who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
  • held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
  • transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
  • The collecting history of this painting is partial. Its whereabouts are unknown between being commissioned by the original owner around 1770 and collected by Admiral Sir Edmund Robert Fremantle between 1888 and 1891, and between its disposal by Fremantle or his descendants and the donor's purchase in London in 1948. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1948.