Materials & Technique
paintings, manuscripts, opaque watercolour, gold Support
Primary Insc: Signed by the artist, upper centre, black ink.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed upper centre, in ink, in Devanagari script.
Gayer Anderson collection No p.210 ..... Calligraphy is a Turkish 19c Butterfly / Name. / Bought at Jaipur 1927"
Inscribed lower centre - lower right, in pencil "NOTE (This painting has been treated with wax) / [?] 1952".
image (verso) 17.9 h x 25.2 w cm mount 36.6 h x 27.6 w cm
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954 Accession No
: NGA 91.1397B
- Acquired in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India, by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1927
- exported from India by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1930
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1927-1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this painting is partial. The earliest confirmed transaction is its purchase by the donor in India in 1927. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1927.