Kashmir Valley, Jammu and Kashmir, India
Page from a manuscript in Urdu: text [verso]
mid 19th century Description
: Page from a manuscript in Urdu: a div with a captive man [recto] | text [verso]
Materials & Technique
paintings, manuscripts, opaque watercolour, gold Support
page 15.0 h x 11.6 w cm
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954 Accession No
: NGA 91.1402B
- acquired in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India, possibly from descendants of the artist, by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1927
- exported from India by Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson, 1930
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1927-1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this painting is partial. The earliest confirmed transaction is its purchase by the donor in India in 1927. It is known that the donor purchased many works in Jaipur in 1927 from the descendants of the artists who created them, and this painting may be one of those. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1927.