At sea 1771
Towcester, Northamptonshire, England 1710
Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London, England 1774
A view of the island of Ulietea, with a double canoe and a boat-house
1773 Title Notes: Voyage I
Page: plate 6
London, Greater London, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper engraving and etching, printed in black ink, from one copper plate Support: thin smooth cream paper subsequently affixed to backing sheet of thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: watermark centre of backing sheet, 'JW HAIMAN'.
Edition State: working state
Impression: proof before letters
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with voyage number upper right of backing sheet in black pencil, '1 [enclosed in circle]'.
Inscribed with plate number lower right of backing sheet in black pencil, '6'.
printed image 20.0 h x 46.2 w cm sheet 23.8 h x 48.8 w cm backing sheet 62.6 h x 38.0 w cm
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.6 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction, 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House, Sydney, 2013.