At sea 1771
View of the house or shed, called tupapow in Otaheite, under which the dead are deposited, and a representation of the person who performs the principal part in the funeral ceremony in his peculiar dress
1773 Title Notes: Voyage I
Page: plate 8
London, Greater London, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper engraving and etching, printed in black ink, from one copper plate Support: thin smooth cream paper subsequently affixed to backing sheet of thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Edition State: working state
Impression: proof before letters
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with voyage number upper right of backing sheet in black pencil, '1 [enclosed in circle]'.
Inscribed with plate number lower right of backing sheet in black pencil, '8'.
Inscribed lower left in black pencil, '5'.
Inscribed lower centre of backing sheet in black pencil, 'Proof'.
printed image 20.0 h x 36.0 w sheet 23.4 h x 36.0 w backing sheet 62.6 h x 38.0 w
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.8 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction, 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney, 2013.