Towcester, Northamptonshire, England 1710
Great Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London, England 1774
A representation of the attack of Capt. Wallis in the Dolphin by the natives of Otaheite
1773 Title Notes: Voyage I
Page: plate 25
London, Greater London, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper engraving, printed in black ink, from one copper plate Support: thin smooth cream paper subsequently affixed to backing sheet of thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Edition State: published state
Impression: undesignated impression as issued
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with voyage number upper right of backing sheet in black pencil, '1 [enclosed in circle]'.
Inscribed with plate number lower right of backing sheet in black pencil, '25'.
printed image 20.5 h x 30.4 w sheet 23.8 h x 33.4 w backing sheet 62.6 h x 38.7 w
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.25 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction, 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney, 2013.