Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England 1728
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii 1779
A chart of the Southern Hemisphere
showing the tracks of some of the most distinguished navigators
[A chart of the Southern Hemisphere; shewing the tracks of some of the most distinguished navigators] 1776 - 1777 Title Notes: Voyage II
Page: plate 2
London, Greater London, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper engraving and etching, printed in black ink, from one copper plate Support: thin smooth cream paper subsequently affixed to backing sheet of thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark
Edition State: published state
Impression: undesignated impression as issued
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with voyage and plate numbers upper right of backing sheet in black pencil, '2 [enclosed in circle] /1.
printed image 56.0 h x 53.8 w sheet (folded) 58.6 h x 28.1 w sheet 58.6 h x 53.4 w backing sheet 62.6 h x 38.7 w
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.29 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction, 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House, Sydney, 2013.