London, England 1744
Brixham, England 1797
A toupapow with a corpse on it attended by the chief mourner in his habit of ceremony.
1777 Title Notes: Voyage II
Page: plate 31
London, Greater London, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper engraving and etching, printed in black ink, from one copper plate; with grey wash in sky on left as guide to engraver Support: thin smooth cream paper subsequently affixed to backing sheet of thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: watermark centre of backing sheet, 'J WHATMAN'.
Edition State: working state
Impression: proof before letters
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions..
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with voyage and plate numbers upper right of backing sheet in black pencil, '2 [enclosed in circle] / 31'.
printed image 21.6 h x 38.2 w cm sheet 21.8 h x 38.2 w cm backing sheet 62.6 h x 38.7 w cm
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.58 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction, 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney, 2013.