Captn. James Cook, F.R.S.
1773 -1784 Title Notes: Voyage III
London, Greater London, United Kingdom, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper etching and stipple-engraving, printed in black ink, from one plate Support: thin smooth cream paper affixed to smooth off-white laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: watermark centre sheet (1), '[illegible]'.
Edition State: published edition
Impression: undesignated impression as issued
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with Voyage and plate number upper right in black pencil, '3 [enclosed in circle] 1a'.
Inscribed lower right in black pencil, '85'.
printed image (oval) 12.0 h x 9.8 w sheet 1 30.2 h x 22.6 w sheet 2 62.4 h x 38.7 w
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.85 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
Portait: male, James Cook
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot 626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House, Sydney, 2013.