A general chart: exhibiting the discoveries made by Captn. James Cook in this and two proceeding voyages
[A general chart: Exhibiting the discoveries made by Captn. James Cook in this and two proceeding voyages; with tracks of the ships under his command] 1773 -1784 Title Notes: Voyage III
Page: plate 1
London, Greater London, United Kingdom, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper engraving, printed in black ink, from one copper plate Support: thin smooth cream laid paper affixed to thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: watermark centre sheet (1), '[illegible]'.
Edition State: published state
Impression: undesignated impression as issued
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: inscribed with Voyage number upper right in black pencil, '3 [enclosed in circle]'
inscribed with plate number lower right in black pencil, '1'.
printed image 55.0 h x 91.5 w sheet (folded) 59.2 h x 35.5 w sheet 1 59.4 h x 93.0 w sheet 2 62.6 h x 38.7 w
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.86 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot 626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House Rare Books, Sydney, 2013.