An opossum of Van Diemen's Land
1773 -1784 Title Notes: Voyage III
Page: plate 5
London, Greater London, United Kingdom, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper etching and engraving, printed in black ink, from one copper plate Support: thin smooth cream paper affixed to thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark
Edition State: published state
Impression: undesignated impression as issued
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with Voyage number upper right in black pencil, '3 [enclosed in circle] 90'
Inscribed with plate number lower right in black pencil, '90 / / 5'.
Inscribed lower right below sheet 1 in black pencil, 'VIII'.
printed image 15.0 h x 24.0 w sheet 1 21.5 h x 27.1 w sheet 2 62.6 h x 38.7 w
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.90 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
Australia, Art period: Pre-European settlement, to 1778
Australia, Art period: Colonial, Tasmania
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot 626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House, Sydney, 2013.