London, England 1749
Poulaho, King of the Friendly Islands, drinking Kava
1773 -1784 Title Notes: Voyage III
Page: plate 15
London, Greater London, England
Materials & Technique:
prints, books, ink; paper engraving and etching, printed in black ink, from one copper plate Support: thin smooth cream paper affixed to thin smooth cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark
Edition State: published state
Impression: undesignated impression as issued
Edition: print run unknown
Primary Insc: no inscriptions
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed with Voyage number upper right in black pencil, '100 / 3 [enclosed in circle]'.
Inscribed with plate number lower right in black pencil, '100 / 15'.
Inscribed lower right below sheet 1 in black pencil, 'XX'.
printed image 23.0 h x 38.6 w sheet 1 26.7 h x 41.3 w sheet 2 62.6 h x 38.7 w
: Purchased 2013 Accession No
: NGA 2013.4129.9.100 Subject
: Voyages of exploration and discovery 1600-1900: English
- Collection of Charles Hoare (1767-1851) of Luscombe, Devon, England, grandson of Henry Hoare of Stourhead, Wiltshire and a partner in the family bank Hoare & Co. [Bookplate]
- ? Hoare family library, Stourhead, Wiltshire
- Unknown collection.
- Collection of John D. Altmann (1919-1996).
- At auction 'Rare books and manuscripts', Melbourne: Christie's Australia, 28 November 1996, lot 626 (ill.) estimate $30-40,000.
- With Hordern House, Sydney.
- Purchased by the National Gallery of Australia, from Hordern House, Sydney, 2013.