Henri de TOULOUSE-LAUTREC, La Revue blanche Enlarge 1 /1

Henri de TOULOUSE-LAUTREC

France 1864 – 1901

artist

La Revue blanche [Poster: La revue blanche] 1895 Materials & Technique: prints, posters, planographic crayon, brush and spatter lithograph, printed in four colours Support: wove paper with linen backing
Impression: edition between 1000 and 3000
Publisher: La revue blanche
Place Published: Paris
Date Published: 1895

Edition Notes: printer: Ancourt
Primary Insc: signed lower left, printed from the stone in green ink, 'HTL' monogram dated lower left, printed from the stone in green ink, '95'
Secondary Insc: inscribed upper right, printed from the stone in black ink, 'La revue /blanche /bi-mensuelle /le no. 60 cent. /12 francs par An /1 rue Lafitte /Paris inscribed centre right, printed from the stone in blue ink, 'Charpentier et Fasquelle, editeurs /11, rue de Grenelle /Imp. Edw. Ancourt Paris'
Dimensions: image 124.6 h x 90.8 w cm sheet 128.2 h x 92.3 w cm
Cat Raisonné: Wittrock P16
Acknowledgement: Purchased 1975
Accession No: NGA 75.254
Provenance:
  • Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Joseph Brown Gallery, Melbourne, October 1975.
Cutting-edge technology is not just a characteristic of our age

La revue blanche was founded in Belgium in 1889 by brothers Alfred, Alexandre and Thadée Natanson, who then moved it to Paris in 1891. As a publication it was hugely influential on the intellectual and artistic life of the city. From July 1893 to December 1894 it published a print per month by the mainly Nabi artists Edouard Vuillard, Maurice Denis, Paul Ranson, Pierre Bonnard and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, amongst others.

Both Bonnard and Toulouse-Lautrec also produced posters advertising the magazine itself. Toulouse-Lautrec’s commanding image is in fact an homage to Thadée Natanson’s polish-born wife, Misia, who was known as the ‘muse of the review’.


Text © National Gallery of Australia, Canberra