Darlinghurst, New South Wales, Australia 1858
Randwick, New South Wales, Australia 1930
- England 1880-84, France 1884-1912, Switzerland and Italy 1912-15, England 1915-21, Australia from 1921
Portofino, Liguria, Genova province, Italy
Materials & Technique:
drawings, gouache; graphite; paper drawing in gouache over black pencil Support: paper
Primary Insc: Signed and dated lower centre in black pencil, 'Russell 15 John Peter'.
Dated verso centre in black pencil, 'For Felize /Portofino / Jany 15 / JR'.
sheet 37.4 h x 27.6 w cm sight 36.7 h x 21.1 w cm
: Purchased 1977 Accession No
: NGA 77.96
- Gift to to Felize Medori, from the artist, Portofino, Italy, January 1915.
- 'Felize Medori' was the stage name of the artist's second wife, the American-born singer Caroline de Witt Merrill.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Joseph Brown Gallery, Melbourne, April 1977;
- From the exhibition, 'John Peter Russell 1858-1930, Watercolurs', Melbourne: Joseph Brown Gallery, 5 - 18 April 1977, cat. no., 8, (illustrated)