Harry ROSENGRAVEHarry ROSENGRAVE, The wild horse. Enlarge 1 /1

Harry ROSENGRAVE

Locksley, Victoria, Australia 1899 – Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1986

Harry ROSENGRAVE

Locksley, Victoria, Australia 1899 – Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1986

printer, intaglio

The wild horse. [Mustang.] 1955 Place made: RMIT, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Materials & Technique: prints, ink; paper etching, printed in black ink with plate-tone, from one plate Support: thin cream wove paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Edition State: published state
Impression: 6/10
Edition: edition of 10 extended to 20?

Primary Insc: signed lower right below plate-mark in black pencil, 'H Rosengrave'. not dated. Titled lower left below plate-mark in black pencil, 'The Wild Horse'. inscribed centre below plate-mark in black pencil, '6/10'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, 'Rosengrave 26' [26 encircled].
Dimensions: plate-mark 8.8 h x 12.4 w cm sheet 18.8 h x 25.0 w cm
Acknowledgement: Purchased 1986
Accession No: NGA 86.234
Provenance:
  • Collection of Harry Rosengrave (1899-1986).
  • The collection of 501 prints by 33 artists was formed in the 1950s and 60s, by the Melbourne artist Harry Rosengrave. Many of the prints were gifted or exchanged with his contemporaries who used the facilities of the print room of RMIT, Melbourne. The collection was well known among artists and the public had the opportunity to view many of the prints when they were exhibited at Hawthorn City Art Gallery, 10-25 May June 1979. Some of the prints in the collection suffered from smoke and water damage when the shed in which they were stored was set on fire. Rosengrave subsequently trimmed some sheets. The Australian National Gallery began negotiations with Rosengrave in 1973. These negotiations were resumed in 1985, the year before the artist’s death. Negotiations then continued with the family, facilitated by Niagara Lane Gallery, who had presented a retrospective of the artist’s prints in 1980.
  • Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from the Rosengrave family, Melbourne, February 1986.