Harry ROSENGRAVEHarry ROSENGRAVE, Totems. Enlarge 1 /1

Harry ROSENGRAVE

Locksley, Victoria, Australia 1899 – Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1986

Harry ROSENGRAVE

Locksley, Victoria, Australia 1899 – Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1986

printer

Totems. 1953 Place made: RMIT, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Materials & Technique: prints, ink; paper linocut, printed in black ink from one block Support: thin cream wove lithographic paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark
Edition State: published state
Impression: 3/10
Edition: edition of 10

Primary Insc: Signed and dated upper right above printed image in black pencil, 'H Rosengrave 53' . Titled upper right above printed image in black pencil, 'Totems'. Inscribed upper centre above printed image in black pencil, '3/10'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed [by RB] verso lower centre in black pencil, 'Rosengrave 24' [24 encircled].
Dimensions: printed image (irregular) 16.8 h x 10.7 w cm sheet (irregular) 19.1 h x 11.6 w cm
Acknowledgement: Purchased 1986
Accession No: NGA 86.236
Provenance:
  • Collection of Harry Rosengrave (1899-1986).
  • The collection of 501 prints by 33 artists was formed in the 1950s and 60s, by the Melbourne artist Harry Rosengrave. Many of the prints were gifted or exchanged with his contemporaries who used the facilities of the print room of RMIT, Melbourne. The collection was well known among artists and the public had the opportunity to view many of the prints when they were exhibited at Hawthorn City Art Gallery, 10-25 May June 1979. Some of the prints in the collection suffered from smoke and water damage when the shed in which they were stored was set on fire. Rosengrave subsequently trimmed some sheets. The Australian National Gallery began negotiations with Rosengrave in 1973. These negotiations were resumed in 1985, the year before the artist’s death. Negotiations then continued with the family, facilitated by Niagara Lane Gallery, who had presented a retrospective of the artist’s prints in 1980.
  • Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from the Rosengrave family, Melbourne, February 1986.