Richmond, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1927
Hawthorn, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 1982
[Farmhouse, Wendover] c.1954
Materials & Technique:
prints, ink; paper linocut, printed in black ink, from one block Support: thin smooth cream wove Hylton Bank paper
Manufacturer's Mark: watermark centre vertically, 'HYLTON / BANK'.
Edition State: not published
Impression: undesignated impression
Edition: edition unknown
Edition Notes: Oil seepage from ink visible throughout sheet.
Fold marks run vertically on sheet from upper centre to lower centre, and horizontally from centre left to centre right. Characteristic of works produced in Europe that Williams sent home in letters to friends in Australia.
Blue-green stains on sheet result of water damage incurred while stored in Harry Rosengrave's shed.
Primary Insc: signed lower right below printed image in black pen and ink, 'FRW [in monogram, encircled]'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, 'Williams 4' [RB 1985].
printed image 11.5 h x 15.9 w cm sheet (irregular) 16.2 h x 20.8 w cm
: Purchased 1986 Accession No
: NGA 86.409 Image rights
: © Estate of Fred Williams
- Collection of Harry Rosengrave (1899-1986).
- The collection of 501 prints by 33 artists was formed in the 1950s and 60s, by the Melbourne artist Harry Rosengrave. Many of the prints were gifted or exchanged with his contemporaries who used the facilities of the print room of RMIT, Melbourne. The collection was well known among artists and the public had the opportunity to view many of the prints when they were exhibited at Hawthorn City Art Gallery, 10-25 May June 1979. Some of the prints in the collection suffered from smoke and water damage when the shed in which they were stored was set on fire. Rosengrave subsequently trimmed some sheets. The Australian National Gallery began negotiations with Rosengrave in 1973. These negotiations were resumed in 1985, the year before the artist’s death. Negotiations then continued with the family, facilitated by Niagara Lane Gallery, who had presented a retrospective of the artist’s prints in 1980.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from the Rosengrave family, Melbourne, February 1986.