masthead logo
email webmanager facebook | twitter | google+ | flickr | contacts | 


GIAMBOLOGNA

Flanders (France) 1529 – Italy 1608

Antonio SUSINI

Italy (Florence) 1572 – Died 1624

founder

Angel
[Victory angel] 1596 Florence, Tuscany, Firenze province, Italy
Sculpture, bronze
Primary Insc: No inscriptions
20.6 h x 13.0 w x 13.3 d cm
Purchased 1984
Accession No: NGA 84.1520

Provenance:
  • from a group of eleven statuettes, part of a tabernacle on the high altar of the Monastery of the Certosa at Galluzzo, outside Florence, commissioned of Giambologna, 1596;
  • documented in situ by Domenico Moreni, 1791;
  • removed c.1799, during the Napoleonic occupation (1796-1815);
  • Partridge Fine Arts, London;
  • from whom bought by Böhler, Lucerne and Cassirer, Amsterdam, 1923;
  • from whom bought by Charles Loeser (1864-1928), Florence, 1927;
  • appeared on the Berlin art market in the late 1920s (see photographs held in the Kunsthistorisches Institut, Florence);
  • sold at auction Sotheby's, London, 13 December 1979, lot 188;
  • Cyril Humphris, London;
  • from whom bought by the National Gallery of Australia, September 1984

  • Text © National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 2010