Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Study of Viscount de Vesey] [recto]
not titled [Unresolved study of young girl] [verso]
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil [recto]; drawing in brown pencil [verso] Support: medium-weight faded? blue-tint wove paper; sketchbook perforations lower edge
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: not signed or dated.
Titled upper right in black pencil, 'I.R. VESEY [underlined].'
inscribed upper right in black pencil, 'Sir Arthur Lawley'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed verso upper left in blue ink pen, '24 [circled]'.
Inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, '16 x 8 1/2'.
image (recto) 8.4 h x 17.6 w cm image (verso) 26.8 h x 16.0 w cm sheet 35.1 h x 25.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 371i
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.6AB
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 348, as 'Head of a gentleman'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.