Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Untitled. Study of a male head [Sir Arthur Lawley] [recto]
not titled [three studies of female with arms outstretched] [verso]
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Materials & Technique:
drawings, colour pencil; graphite; paper drawing in black pencil [recto]; drawing in tan conté crayon [verso] Support: commercially prepared medium-weight smooth green-tinted buff wove paper; sketchpad perforations lower edge
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: inscribed verso upper left in blue ink pen, '24 [within circle]'.
inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, '13 x 9 3/4'.
inscribed verso upper left in blue ballpoint pen, '8 [within circle]'.
image (recto) 25.0 h x 20.8 w cm image (verso) 23.8 h x 33.6 w cm sheet 35.1 h x 25.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 371j
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.7AB
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Commonwealth Art Advisory Board (C.A.A.B.), from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972.
- From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 338, as 'Portrait of a gentleman'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll ... Many are inscribed by Croll'.