Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
not titled [unresolved portrait study of a female]
between 1901- 1903
Materials & Technique:
drawings, conté crayon; paper drawing in red conté crayon Support: thin off-white wove paper mounted on fabric-covered cardboard; sketchbook cover
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed verso lower left in blue ink pen '26'.
Inscribedlower right in black pencil, '8 x 6'.
Printed lower right with blue ink stamp, 'Fine Art Department /' The Walk' / Coles Book Arcade [enclosed within oval]'.
Printed lower right on self-adhering white label, 'James T Buxton / Artists' Colorman, / 131 Swanston-St / Melbourne'.
image 14.0 h x 7.4 w cm sheet 35.1 h x 26.0 w cm
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.8
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 345, as 'Man and horses'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.