Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Study of James Arthur Boyd
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil with highlights in white chalk Support: commercially prepared medium-weight smooth buff wove paper; sketchpad perforations lower edge
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: not signed or dated.
Titled lower right in black pencil, 'James Arthur Boyd /(S,) Member for / Melbourne.'
inscribed upper right in black pencil, '[indecipherable] / [indecipherable] acquired / Blue for eyes / Hair Brown / moustache/ Auburn'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower left by R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'Sketch by Tom Roberts / R H Croll / Author of the Life of Tom Roberts'.
Inscribed verso upper right in ink, '4 [circled] 4'.
Inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, '3 9 3/4'.
image 30.5 h x 23.0 w cm sheet 34.9 h x 25.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 371k
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.9
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 334.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.