Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
R.H. Croll [recto]
not titled [profile portrait of R. H. Croll] [verso]
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil Support: medium-weight tan wove paper; sketchbook perforations lower edge
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: no inscriptions
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed recto lower left by R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'By Tom Roberts / R H Croll / Author of the / Life of Tom Roberts'.
Inscribed verso lower left by R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'From one of Tom Roberts sketchbooks / R H Croll / Author of the / Life of Tom Roberts'.
Inscribed verso lower right in blue ink pen, '9'.
Inscirbed verso lower left in black pencil, '13 / 9 3/4'.
image (recto) 23.4 h x 22.4 w cm image (verso) 24.2 h x 12.8 w cm sheet 35.1 h x 25.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 643
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.10AB
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 339, as 'Portrait of a gentleman'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.