Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
H.R.H. The Duchess of Cornwall and York
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil Support: commercially prepared medium-weight smooth blue-flecked grey wove paper; sketchpad perforations lower edge
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: not signed.
inscribed and dated lower right in black pencil, 'Govt. House / Sydney / 1901'.
inscribed centre in black pencil, 'Dia / Pearls'.
inscribed centre right in black pencil, 'Pearls'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower right by R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'H.R.H The Duchess of Cornwall and York / (Later Queen Mary) / Sketched by Tom Roberts 1901'.
Inscribed verso lower right in pen and black ink, '3 [circled]'.
Inscribed versolower right in black pencil, '13 x 9 3/4'.
image 31.8 h x 17.0 w cm sheet 35.1 h x 25.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 371c
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.14
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 333.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.