Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
H.R.H. the Duke of Cornwall and York
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil Support: medium-weight cream wove paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: not signed.
inscribed upper right in black pencil, 'W.'.
inscribed centre in black pencil, 'Blue'.
inscribed centre right in black pencil, 'Diamonds / Gold centre'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower right by R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'Duke of York / Govt. House Sydney 1901 / By Tom Roberts'.
Inscribed verso lower right in pen and black ink, '2 [underlined and on side]'.
Inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, '13 9 3/4'.
image (recto) 29.0 h x 14.0 w cm image (verso) 21.0 h x 18.0 w cm sheet 35.1 h x 25.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 371f
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.16AB
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 332.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.