Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Study of a male tennis player [recto]
not titled [draped female nude] [verso]
[Study, male playing tennis [recto]; Draped female nude [verso]] c.1900
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in red conté crayon [recto]; drawing in black pencil [verso] Support: medium-weight tan wove paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed verso lower right in blue ink pen, '16'.
Inscribed verso upper right in black pencil, '9 3/4 x 3'.
image (recto) 22.2 h x 32.4 w cm image (verso) 32.5 h x 12.8 w cm sheet 25.0 h x 35.1 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 736 [recto]; 736v [verso]
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.17AB
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 346, as 'Two figures'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.