Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Study for 'Plink-a-plong'
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in pen and ink and black pencil Support: thin cream laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower right by R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'Sketches by Tom Roberts / R H Croll / Author of the Life of Tom Roberts'.
Inscribed verso lower right in blue ink pen, '12 [circled and on side]'.
Inscribed verso lower left in black pencil, '11 3/4 9'.
image 28.0 h x 23.0 w cm sheet 31.1 h x 24.3 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 210a
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.19
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 352, as 'Head study'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.