Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Study of a carthorse and detail of a man
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil Support: thin cream wove paper; sketchbook perforations left edge
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: not signed.
inscribed lower centre in black pencil, 'Too thick'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower left by R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'By Tom Roberts / From a sketch book / RHC'.
Inscribed verso lower left in ink, '15'.
image 7.8 h x 13.8 w cm sheet 12.7 h x 21.9 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 755
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.20
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 356, as 'Head study'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.