Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Study of a horse's head
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil Support: medium-weight blue-tinted laid paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower right by R.H. Croll, in black pencil, 'Sketch by Tom Roberts / RHC / Author of the Life of Tom Roberts'.
Inscribed lower left in blue ink pen, '11'.
Inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, '9 x 6'.
image 13.0 h x 9.4 w cm sheet 30.9 h x 25.6 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 756
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.21
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 341, as 'Head of a horse'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.