Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Seated female figure [recto]
not titled [unresolved sketch of standing female nude] [verso]
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Materials & Technique:
drawings, conté crayon; paper drawing in red conté crayon Support: medium-weight cream wove paper; sketchbook perforations left edge
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: not signed.
inscribed centre left in red conté crayon '[indecipherable]'.
inscribed centre right in red conté crayon, 'Cream'.
inscribed lower left in red conté crayon, 'Red'.
inscribed lower left in red conté crayon, 'blue'.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed verso upper right in ink '19'.
image (recto) 29.0 h x 24.7 w cm image (verso) 31.6 h x 10.4 w cm sheet 35.1 h x 25.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 737
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.22AB
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. [can not be identified].
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.