Dorchester, England 1856
Kallista, Victoria, Australia 1931
- Australia from 1869
- England, Europe 1881- 85, 1903-23
Male head with hat and pipe [recto]
not titled [two studies of a male figure in profile and from behind] [verso]
Materials & Technique:
drawings, drawing in black pencil Support: thin smooth cream wove paper
Manufacturer's Mark: no manufacturer's mark.
Primary Insc: no inscriptions.
Secondary Insc: no inscriptions.
Tertiary Insc: Inscribed lower left R.H. Croll in black pencil, 'By Tom Roberts / From a sketchbook / RHC'.
Inscribed verso upper left in ink, '14'.
Inscribed verso lower right in black pencil, '10 x 6 3/4'.
image (recto) 18.2 h x 16.0 w cm image (verso) 11.2 h x 12.4 w cm sheet 26.2 h x 18.0 w cm
: Topliss (1985), 754
: Purchased 1972 Accession No
: NGA 72.485.23AB
- With the artist until his death in 1931.
- Collection of R.H. Croll (1869-1947) the author of the 1935 biography of Tom Roberts.
- Unknown collection.
- Purchased by the Australian National Gallery, from Leonard Joel Pty Ltd, Melbourne, November 1972. From the auction 'Australian, New Zealand, English and European Historical and Contemporary Drawings and Paintings', Melbourne: Leonard Joel, 16-17 November 1972, lot no. 344, as 'Head of a man'.
- The catalogue noted that 'The following 26 Sketches are from Tom Roberts' Sketch Book, formerly the property of Robert Croll...Many are inscribed by Croll'.