Deccan painting, Mysore style
The emperor Jahangir (1605-1627)
Mysore, Karnataka, India
Materials & Technique
opaque watercolour, gold
x 8.5 w
x 16.8 w
: The Gayer-Anderson Gift 1954
: NGA 91.1357
- Bought in Cairo, Egypt, by Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, 1926 or before
- who gave it to is brother, Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson in Cairo, 1926
- held in the collection of Colonel Thomas Gayer Gayer-Anderson and Major Robert Grenville Gayer-Anderson, Pasha, both of The Little Hall, Lavenham, Suffolk, England, 1926-1953
- who gave it to the Commonwealth of Australia, 1953
- held by National Library of Australia, Canberra, after transfer from London, 1954-1991
- transferred to the collection of the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra 1991.
- The collecting history of this painting is partial. The earliest known transaction is its acquisition by the donor in Egypt in 1926. The National Gallery of Australia welcomes further information regarding its history of ownership prior to 1926.